Fishing in Drake Bay
Experience world class fishing and amazing natural beauty in Costa Rica’s Osa Peninsula. The southernmost corner of the country, the Osa is only reachable by plane or boat and is the most exotic region of Costa Rica. Home to the world famous Corcovado National Park and the country’s best wildlife, 40 IGFA records have also been set within 80 nautical miles of Drake Bay. When Fishing in Drake Bay it is likely you’ll see more dolphins and whales than other fishing boats.
Destinations: San Jose & Drake Bay
Duration: 6-8 nights
Fly into San Jose, Costa Rica where we will meet you and take you to your waiting private van. You’ll stay your first night in Costa Rica’s capital of San Jose at the gorgeous Grano de Oro Hotel. Set on the outskirts of downtown, this converted Victorian Mansion combines old world charm with modern amenities and outstanding service.
In the late morning you will take a 50 minute flight from San Jose down to Drake Bay where you will be met by your hotel, the Copa de Arbol. Without any roads the only way to get from the airstrip to the hotel is by small boat, so it is best you wear sandals today. The Copa de Arbol is the Osa Peninsula’s newest and most luxurious hotel, featuring 8 private cabanas set amongst 70 acres of beachfront rainforest. The hotel also features an infinity edge pool, Jacuzzi, free water sports like stand-up paddle boards and kayaks, and an amazing restaurant.
Let’s go fishing! Despite the isolated location, we have one of the finest boats in the country located here so you can thoroughly enjoy your week fishing in Drake Bay. Your 35’ Cabo comes fully equipped with outriggers, downriggers, fighting chair, cabin with kitchen and head, and an air conditioned galley. Your captain, Willie, is from Drake Bay and has been fishing for over 20 years. Without a lot of pressure from sport fishing boats and with much of the coastline protected in marine reserves the fishing here is second-to-none. Head offshore for sailfish, marlin, and dorado!
While you are here we highly recommend you take advantage of your location and do a guided tour of Corcovado National Park. National Geographic has famously referred to it as “the most biologically intense place on Earth!” The most prized of all of Costa Rica’s national parks, Corcovado is home to large mammals like the exotic tapir and jaguars, all four species of monkeys native to Costa Rica, over 400 of species of birds, over 115 species of reptiles including large crocodiles and venomous snakes, and incredibly over 500 different types trees.
Let’s go fishing! Head back out to the blue water for more of Costa Rica’s intense billfish bite. Keep your eyes peeled for diving birds and pods of spinner dolphins as they are the easiest way to find yellow-fin tuna. And yes – you can definitely eat sashimi on the boat!
Today you’ll experience the other natural wonder of the Osa Peninsula, Cano Island. The island itself is a national park and the water surrounding it a marine reserve, so this offers arguably the best snorkeling in Costa Rica. Located seven miles off the coast, the clear waters allow you to swim with turtles, eels, rays, octopus, harmless white tipped reef sharks, and huge schools of fish. On your way to and from the island keep an eye out for breaching whales and dolphins that love to play in the wake of the boat. After snorkeling enjoy a fresh lunch on one of the Osa Peninsula’s secluded beaches before heading back to the hotel.
Let’s go fishing! Today we are going to change gears and try bottom fishing and inshore fishing. The waters near Drake Bay are home to some of the largest snapper and roosterfish we see, so be prepared to see that rod bend even more than when your sailfish was hooked up!
We will get you on a short 50 minute flight back to the SJO International Airport and your flight home!
- VIP Meet & Greet Service inside the SJO Airport before you even reach Immigration.
- Private, air-conditioned transfers with English speaking driver.
- Spend your first night in San Jose at our favorite luxury hotel downtown.
- Spend 4-6 nights in Drake Bay in the exotic Osa Peninsula.
- Your eco-luxury hotel in Drake Bay will include all meals
- Enjoy 2/3/4 full day private fishing charters. Boat is 100% yours
- Your choice of offshore fishing for marlin, sailfish, tuna, and dorado or inshore fishing for snapper, grouper, snook, corvina, jacks and roosterfish
- Choose our 35′ Cabo with air conditioning or 28′ Center Console
- On your non-fishing days explore the amazing Corcovado National Park and/or snorkel at Caño Island
- Domestic flights between San Jose and Drake Bay are included (50 mins each way)
- All Costa Rican taxes
- Free quotes on travel insurance
- Pre-arrival assistance with dinner reservations, tee times, pre-stocking your condo or villa, hiring a private chef, and special requests.
- 24/7 support once you are here in country