Best of Guatemala
Destinations: La Antigua & Puerto San Jose, Guatemala
Duration: 8 days
Fly into the GUA Airport where you will pass Immigrations and Customs, walk out of the airport and will be met by our driver holding a sign with your name on it. From here you’ll enjoy an air conditioned transfer to the beautiful Spanish-colonial town of Antigua. Founded by the Spanish in 1543, Antigua served as the capital of Guatemala for over 200 yrs. Much of this town’s charm comes from the old world architecture that has been so well preserved, and you’ll get to enjoy this first hand at your gorgeous boutique hotel San Rafael. Originally a family home, today it features just 7 rooms, antique tile roofs, two courtyards, and several fountains to combine old world charm and first class service and luxury. Centrally located to be easy walking distance to anything in town, this is the perfect place to start your Guatemala fishing vacation.
Start your day off right with San Rafael’s famous breakfast, which is served outside your room in the open air courtyard. After breakfast you’ll enjoy a private guided walking tour of Antigua with our expert local guide who can tell you all about it’s rich, 500 yr old history. With its beautiful Spanish-baroque architecture, gorgeous cathedrals, and cobblestone streets ‘La Antigua’ was declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1979. After the walking tour explore the multiple museums, art galleries, and fabulous pubs, cafes, and restaurants that dot the city on your own.
Today you’ll get a workout as you climb to the top of an active volcano! The Pacaya Volcano sits just a few miles outside of Antigua so it makes for a an easy day trip that combines a little physical activity, history, and amazing panoramic views once you reach the peak at 8,373 ft. Formed over 23,000 years ago, Pacaya has been one of Central America’s most active volcanoes the past 500 years as part of the Ring of Fire. The hike is medium difficulty as takes about 1.5-2 hrs based on your fitness level. If you need some extra help you can rent a horse or walking stick at the park entrance. Once at the top you can celebrate by roasting marshmallows on the steam vents from past volcanic eruptions.
Today you’ll get to sleep in and enjoy one last morning in Antigua on your own, then in the early afternoon we’ll bring you down the coast in an air conditioned van to world famous Casa Vieja Lodge just 45 minutes away. Casa Vieja Lodge is one of the world’s most popular fishing lodges and is home to some of the best boats and captains in Central America. Featuring 19 air conditioned rooms, a freshwater pool, free wifi, open air bar with flat screen TVs and gourmet food there is no better way to enjoy sailfishing in Guatemala than this.
After breakfast you’ll be taken in an air conditioned van to Marina Pez Vela for a full day of offshore fishing. The fleet at Casa Vieja Lodge ranges from 35’ Contender center consoles to 43’ air conditioned yachts, each with an experienced crew that has been battle tested by thousands of sailfish year in and year out. All conventional and fly gear is provided and the crews are well trained to help you hook your own fish and improve your angling skills. All fishing days include snacks, lunch, and drinks (beer/water/soda).
Let’s go fishing! Head offshore for another day of non-stop sailfish action. The fleet at CVL averages 16 bites per day, per boat, year round so you will get plenty of action when you fish here. After a long day of fishing come back to the lodge and enjoy a dip in the pool, tasty hors d’oeuvres, and a cold beer or cocktail.
Last day of fishing! Enjoy another full day of sport fishing in Guatemala as you target sailfish, marlin, dorado, and yellow-fin tuna. Guatemala is known to produce days of 30-40 bites (sometimes more) so see what kind of gaudy sailfish numbers you can produce today
Enjoy an air conditioned, 90-minute drive back to the GUA International Airport for your flight home.
- Spend three nights in the Spanish-colonial town of Antigua
- Stay at the San Rafael boutique hotel with just 7 modern rooms
- Enjoy a private guided walking tour of the UNESCO World Heritage site with 500 yrs of history, culture, and art
- Hike up the active Pacaya Volcano and roast marshmallows on old lava flows
- Spend four nights at the famous Casa Vieja Lodge on Guatemala’s Pacific Coast
- Fish three full days for Pacific sailfish, blue & black marlin, mahi, and yellow-fin tuna
- Casa Vieja Lodge is all inclusive with all meals, daily hors d’oeuvres, and full open bar
- An open-air restaurant serves a gourmet, four course dinner each night
- Fleet of 10 boats range from 35’ center consoles to 43’ yachts with air conditioning
- All boats include conventional and fly fishing tackle
- The CVL fleet averages 16 billfish bites per day, per boat all year round
- Pool, gym, gift shop, and spa services available at Casa Vieja Lodge
- Free Yeti tumblers for each angler to help eliminate plastic in our oceans